Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Art and Friendships

Two extremely exhausted but very happy friends
Hearing from Velma, yesterday, thrilled me.  I miss my new-found PBI friends and Velma is one of them.

What is PBI you ask?  It is the "Paper  & Book Intensive" Workshop.  You will only find top notch instructors teaching bookbinding, papermaking, letter press and a variety of other classes relating to the book arts.

I came across PBI through iTunes oddly enough.  I was curious to see if there were any bookmaking podcasts available.  What popped up but Book Artists and Poets by Steve Miller who resides with the University of Alabama.  He has interviewed nearly one hundred individuals in the book arts field.  That's how I came to know about PBI.  I checked the site www.paperbookintensive.org and emailed Steve Miller for more information.  Upon his recommendation I applied to PBI.  The day I was accepted, I danced around my apartment with excitement unable to speak!

The day I arrived at the University of Machias in Maine I was even more excited!  Meeting so many interesting, goodhearted, funny, knowledgeable, and passionate book arts people --  I discovered a family of playmates!

Check out Velma's site:  www.velmabolyard.blogspot.com.  She has a homespun approach to sharing her life with you on her blog.  You can feel her warmth coming through.  Her love of natural dying, bookmaking, paper making and farm life is spell-binding.   She kept a bit of a diary during our exhausting but exhilarating days at Machias.  I would encourage you to discover the variety of activities we were involved in.  It was a great deal of fun!

3 comments:

  1. well, now i've sent people over to see your doings, so you will have to keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. friends are cattle prods, right?!

    ReplyDelete