Monday, October 25, 2010

Why draw with your non-dominant hand?

Ink Drawing of Verne with Non-Dominant Hand by Margaret Braun
Because it’s fun!  When I draw with my left hand, the non-dominant one, I forget all technical questions.  I have just one thing to focus on, the hand following the eye.

The process itself is a little awkward.  Your non-dominant hand draws slowly and is clumsy. That’s okay.  Remember this hand did not go to school and is seldom asked to write or draw.  It takes a little bit of patience and lots of willingness to just accept what comes.

As an aside, my brain’s usual chatter turns off as I engaged my left hand and it feels as if a formerly untapped part of the brain is engaged.

The research in Creative Journaling by Lucia Capacchione, Ph.D. shows that, right handed or left handed, writing and imaging with the non-dominant hand gives greater access to the right hemispheric functions like feeling, intuition, creativity and inner wisdom and spirituality. When a dialog occurs between the left and right hemispheres of the brain, both emotions and thoughts are more fully expressed and understood.

Non-dominant hand drawing has been used in art classes for many years as a way of loosening up. It helps you to relax and draw what you see and feel. Try it yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment