Sunday, November 14, 2010

Project Runway: 1, 2, 3, 4... Season 5!

Auditioning fabrics in my studio     Photo: Margaret Braun


Oiy!  I can't help myself!  I have begun Project Runway Season 5!  Please don't tell Glenys. 

Like any good mystery I can't help but wonder "what's next"?  The garment challenges and reactions of the designers makes me laugh and/or groan within every series.

I ask myself, "How can I translate their exercises into my artmaking?"  This has become an interesting and stimulating venture for me, too.  The possibilities are endless.

Keeping with my reuse, recycle, repurpose and upcycle theology I chose fabrics and paraphernalia from the Edmonton Reuse Centre.  It is always exciting because of the unknown contributions donated by a multitude of local gifters.

I have decided to begin with an abstract concept which will eventually take on layers.  There are several obstacles to overcome:  colour unification; combining different fabric weights -- transparent next to upholstery next to satin next to velvet;  prints containing white or light valued-colours may pop too much so I may have to stain them; and integrating intriguing details, accessories and illustrative assemblages.  Blending all these elements together in some engaging way can be perplexing.

Well, off I go.

As Tim Gunn would say, "Make it work".

No comments:

Post a Comment