Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Figure Drawing: 9 Tips on Life Drawing

Figure sewn on canvas                    Artwork and Photo:  Margaret Braun        $235

  1. With each model, I find myself asking, "What really characterizes the person?"
  2. Even though you may be a little anxious about your drawing, remember to breathe.
  3. Because I love hands, I will always include them.  They say so much about a person.  So do the eyes.
  4. If you are having trouble with something, focus on that.  For example, I had trouble drawing feet so I drew them over and over again -- for months.  Keep at it!
  5. Don't forget to breathe!
  6. Look at the drawing of the masters.  Ask other artists that you are drawing with for their advice.
  7. Are you breathing?
  8. If you aren't getting the results you want try something new.  Draw with other mediums.  I encourage my fellow artists to draw with their left hand.  
  9. Don't take yourself or your work too seriously!  Have fun!

    Remember:  If you are in Edmonton, join us at Harcourt House Art Centre on Wednesday, 28 September 2011.  I will be facilitating the drawing session.  Would love to meet you!

    Would you like to add your "Top Tips" to the list?

    No comments:

    Post a Comment